Your wedding is undoubtedly going to be the best day of your life. Yet, the leadup to the wedding can be one of the most stressful times as you plan, book, mediate between families, and pay for the biggest party you will ever throw. If you aren’t careful, your dream, rustic wedding can quickly become a Bollywood extravaganza. As it blows out, so does your budget.
The Australian Securities and Investment Commission believe that the average Aussie wedding costs over $36,000. That’s a lot of money to spend on one day. And, it doesn’t include the leadup costs like the engagement party, regular hair appointments or that gym membership you take out to get into shape for the event.
Regardless, many of us are happy to hand over the dough (or credit card) as we convince ourselves it is worth it for this one occasion. But, what if we told you that you could still have your perfect wedding without going over your budget? Here are a few of our tried and true tips for sticking to your wedding budget:
- Have the budget talk early. Get your partner and parents involved in the discussion and set a budget before you talk about venues or colour schemes. Having everyone on the same page will save you arguments later on.
- Choose an off-peak date. Now that you have the budget under control, you can look for savings elsewhere. Opting for your wedding to be in popular seasons, such as Spring and Autumn, or on a public holiday weekend, could increase the cost of your venue hire. Choosing a less-popular date, even on a Monday to Friday, could save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
- Do some of the prep yourself. Websites like Etsy have increased in popularity over the last couple of years: and rightly so. These sites offer a range of cheaper do-it-yourself options on items such as your wedding invitations, place cards, bridal party gifts and even bonbonnieres.
- Ask for help. Having your wedding at a venue where you are required to do the setup and pack-up can save you a lot of money. Of course, this leaves you with the manual labour, but you will find that family and friends will be more than willing to chip in.
- Limit alcohol. The food and alcohol budget at a wedding can quickly blow out if you have an open bar. Don’t feel obligated to pay for everyone’s alcohol. Limiting the drinks budget to beer, wine, champagne, a signature cocktail or two, and soft drinks can save you thousands.
These are just some of the basic ideas which can save you thousands of dollars, not to mention stress, when planning your wedding. A simple internet search can produce hundreds of more ways to save.
Why not let us start to remove some of that stress now. Our tailored Spending Plans will help you plan and stick to your wedding budget. Plus, through our 7-month Spending Plan Program, our coaches will not only aid in your saving for the wedding, but it will also teach you the methods which will take the stress out of saving for your next big lifestyle milestone.
Get Started with a Spending Plan Today so You Can Afford That Memorable Wedding!